Walk along the river Teza at Kholui
The village of Kholui, situated about 300 km north-east of
Moscow is a place of outstanding beauty, set on the
willow-bordered river Teza. It is thought to be one of the oldest
settlements in the Vladimir-Suzdal Principality
The wooden dachas, decorated with beautiful fretwork, are each
set in gardens, where profusions of flowers are planted together
with the vegetables which nearly everyone grows.
In 1546 an order was sent out by Prince Ivan Vasilievich of
Moscow to the Trinity-Sergius Monastery entitled "On
Exempting the Starodubsky Salt Mines from Taxes" (1546).
This reveals that Kholui belonged to the monastery at this time
and supplied it with locally mined and very valuable salt.
The village consists of about 1,200 people of whom nearly half
are involved in the painting or production of the lacquer
Kholui has been a centre of icon painting since the 16th
century, though legends suggest that icons may have been produced
there since before the Mongol invasion.
The lacquer-miniature workshops in Kholui were founded on 1st
July 1934. Kholui's art school, founded in 1883, principally
taught icon painting until the Russian revolution, when it was
It re-opened to train lacquer-miniature artists in 1935.